June 18, 2005

 

Silk Waves Poncho

I decided this morning I needed to try some stitch markers to keep track of my position in the pattern for the LoSS stole and had to run to a LYS to buy some small ones. While there, I couldn't resist snooping around, especially since there was a big clearance sale in progress. I told the shop owner that I needed more yarn like a hole in the head but just had to check things out. She had the funniest comeback: "Holes in the head can be a good thing, like your mouth and nose." That got a belly laugh out of me. What an enabler!

She had some wonderful new kits from Sweaterkits. These kits include a pattern and yarn in a clear, zippered bag. One particular kit caught my eye. It was for a poncho and was made with absolutely gorgeous, hand painted silk and silk chenille yarn. It's called "Silk Waves Poncho". Although I certainly didn't need another kit, I bought it anyway. This is now one of two kits I've marked as "on deck", to be started next. Here's a picture of the pattern:


And here is the beautiful yarn:



I think it will be luscious and can't wait to get my hands on this.

Comments:
I'm jealous - such gorgeous yarn. As another AK list person, I'm wondering - do you plan to upsize it or just go in the largest size given and hope for the best. I started at the current entry today (7/2) and was scrolling down. Your other projects (especially the shawl) are beautiful. I'm adding you to my blog list - I lurk and love to keep up with knitting folk. Happy 4th from New Salem to Boston! :)
 
The poncho is made from two rectangles, 17 x 28 inches, that are sewn together. I've never made or tried on a poncho made like this, so I don't know what this size will look like on me. I think it will be large enough for me. However, I plan to use all of the yarn from the kit so I'm not going to bind off the first rectangle until after I see if there's yarn left over from the second one.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?