May 01, 2005

 

Sweater Workshop, Son of Thing

After completing the sampler from Jackie Fee's Sweater Workshop book with the yahoo! knit-along, I decided to take the next step with the knit-along group and make a sweater. The Sweater Workshop book walks you through the process of designing and knitting a seamless sweater from the bottom up using the principles originally taught by Elizabeth Zimmerman. Since the group referred to the sampler project as a "thing," we've dubbed the follow on sweater project "son of thing."

My son of thing is a sweater for my husband following the principles in the book. I selected Peruvian Collection Highland Wool in a dark indigo heather color from elann and am using Addi Turbo needles in size US #5 for the body and sleeves and US #4 for the welts. I decided to try my hand at designing a sweater and created a garter rib pattern in varying widths using a Fibonacci series to determine the number of ribs to use at each width. Here's a photo of the back of the sweater body; the design shows well but the color, a heathered denim, is off.



I jazzed up the front a bit by substituting a horseshoe cable pattern for the center rib.


On to the sleeves next!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?