January 21, 2005

 

Jackie Fee's Sweater Workshop, part 3

I'm finished! What a relief. It was very difficult for me to toil away on this sampler knowing that in the end I'd only have a "thing" to show for my efforts. I did learn some new techniques, which was the purpose of the exercise. I'm now ready to move on to making my first seamless sweater from the bottom up using the techniques in the book. Here's a picture of the front of my completed sampler. You can see that we experimented with different rib stitches, created a knitted belt and i-cord lace, knitted textured stripes using slip stitch variations, did some two-handed fair isle, and several creative bind off edgings.

And here's the back. They don't show up well but on the back you can see a mini cardigan band w/ button and an afterthought pocket above the knitted belt.

Here's a close up of the knitted cast offs. There's a ribbed cuff, a lace edging, an i-cord edging and a hem along the top edge.

In this final photo, you can just make out the afterthought pocket to the left of the button. This pocket was added in as the last step in the sampler. I snipped a yarn, unraveled across, picked up the loose stitches, and knit the pocket insert in the round. This was a fun thing to learn.




Comments:
Your "Thing" looks great I went through the old messages but I couldn't find where you posted what knid of yarn that you used?
 
I used Cascade 220 for my "thing". I like the hand of the finished product.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?