March 12, 2006

 

Entrelac Woes

I nearly finished my entrelac sweater. I almost could claim victory. It was in sight. Alas, no. After completing everything but a few stockinette rows for the neckline, I tried on the sweater. Yuck! The arm holes aren't deep enough and bind at my upper arms. In addition, the stiffness of the entrelac emphasizes the bunching under the arms that occurs with drop shoulder style sleeves. So, it's back to the drawing board. I'm going to take the sweater apart, pull out the edge rectangles along the armhole and add new side triangles to create a modified drop shoulder style sleeve. Then, I'm going to rip back about 8 inches on the sleeves and reknit them to be larger. Although it's disappointing to have gotten this far and still have more work to do, the sweater is so beautiful that I don't mind the work.

Comments:
It's a bummer that it's not quite done, but it does look great.
 
Hi Mona,
came across your blog while searching for this sweater - I like your choice of yarn and the sweater looks stunning.
I've started mine a few days ago and have nothing but problems.
I am a medium size - I've cast on 68 stiches and the ribbing is 45 cm wide - way too small...
I never did entrelac before - so I've followed the pattern - the edges of the triangles are not even as for some reason it was not mention to slip the first stich but to knit or purl it!
I found cleare instructions on the net - I will try them tonight.
best wishes,
Silvia

www.sbutnarasu.blogspot.com
 
I had to go up several needle sizes to get the stockinette roll stitches loose enough. I knit/purl the first stitch of each triangle/rectangle.
 
I wish I would have had this ideea as well...:). I'm afraid my ribbing will be too small...
If you knit - purl every first stich you end up with at least 8 stiches along the edge of each rectangle - how did you pick up 4 of them in the next row?
This is my stage after a long rainy weekend.

www.sbutnarasu.blogspot.com

best wishes, Silvia
 
When you knit in stockinette, the edge stitches look like a series of knots and loops. I picked up the new stitches through the loops. You actually knit 9 stockinette rows in each rectangle because you need to count the pickup and knit row. This leaves you with 5 loops and 4 knots. Just be consistant; either pick up the four stitches beginning with the first loop or the second loop -- it doesn't matter.
 
Mona, thanks a lot for clarifications - I did slip the first stich so ended up with 5 stitches along the edge, and I am collecting the first four of them. I will have a go tonight with your method ( which is the book method anyway :).
best wishes,
Silvia
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?